[Towertalk] side mounting large beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] side mounting large beam
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:21:29 EST
In a message dated 12/15/02 9:23:21 AM Pacific Standard Time, kz1x@yahoo.com
writes:

> The question:  How much of an offset from the tower is
>  necessary for this to work well?
>
>  I plan on using an W9IIX SO-3 or SO-3L mount.

    I'd get it as close to the tower as possible, thus decreasing the moment
arm leverage on the tower. There was an article in a recent CQ by Dick Weber,
K5IU, on this very topic. Don't forget that 100 pounds of force one foot away
is 100#; that same weight two feet away is 200#, three feet is 300#.

    Yes, proximity to the tower will have *some* negative effects on the
antenna performance but they're pretty small so it's better to have the
antenna closer to the tower.

>  Second question:  How does one climb past this antenna
>  to work on stuff above it?

    Uh...carefully? There's no secret - just be careful. You'll be safer if
you have some sort of lanyard (i.e. the fall arrest lanyard on your fall
arrest harness) that you can attach above you and then you can climb up to it
safely since you'll be attached to the tower 100% of the time you're trying
to get around your appurtenances. (You do have a FAH, don't you?)

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products -
Purveyors of tower safety equipment