[Towertalk] Antenna maintenance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna maintenance
From: g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk (Cleeve)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:02:44 +0000
I recently visited one of the very well equipped UK hams, who has a
large acreage and several tall self supporting towers, and one guyed
tower at 110 feet.

        It occurred to me, that maintenance of yagis etc. on such a tower could
prove to be difficult as one gets older, and less inclined to climb. My
question is, are there any mechanical designs, collars, tilting cradles
etc. which could be used, to support the antenna / rotor etc. which is
hauled up such a tower, for use, and then lowered down for maintenance,
and if there is, how do you avoid antenna entanglement with the tower
support guys. Finaly, if it does exist, then  where is the design
information found. regards, John Cleeve. G3JVC.