[Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing
From: sparks@apk.net (sparks@apk.net)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:39:02 -0500 (EST)
If you fall several feet while hooked to a positioning lanyard, you will almost
certainly be seriously injured or killed.  If that lanyard is hooked to only
one hip, as in the scenario described by below by Pete, the latter possibility
is greatly increased. Positioning lanyards are for fall PREVENTION not fall
arrest.  The arresting forces on a lanyard without a shock-absorbing element
are huge -- thousands of pounds for a 200lb person in 6 foot fall -- and if you
are not killed immediately, you will likely suffocate waiting for rescue as you
dangle from one side of your waist with your diaphragm compressed. It will also
be much more difficult for rescuers to get you positioned for descent from that
position.

In the absence of a fixed fall-arrest system (like a lifeline or lad-safe),
Pete's technique is exactly correct for 100% tie-off, EXCEPT that both lanyards
used while double-hooking up the tower should be shock-absorbing, AND they
should be hooked to the middle of the back.  "Y-lanyards" are available just
for this purpose -- they have two tails off the center hook.  You can also use
two individual shock-absorbing lanyards both hooked to the back D-ring.

73 - Jeff, WB2RUZ