[Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing
From: sparks@apk.net (Jeff Brown)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:03:43 -0500
A good quality hardhat or a helmet is a must.

>Should we be wearing rock climbing helmets for tower work?

Dragging anything along that could catch on a bolt or fitting is
dangerous.  A small catch could throw off your balance enough to compromise
your grip or footing.  Also, if your fall is arrested by the positioning
lanyard, you're facing the high-lateral forces problem again.

One easy method for resting is to attach a spreader to your saddle or hip
rings, then use a hook to tie off to the tower when you want to
rest.  Spreaders are not cheap, so a short lanyard may be a better
option.  If you use a spreader on your saddle rings and suspend yourself to
work, hook a big carabiner between the hook on your chest ring and the
spreader', else you might find yourself upside down.

>1) Does it make sense to also climb with the positioning lanyard around the
>tower? Obviously, it would be slower to climb with the positioning lanyard
>because it has to be dragged along in spots and has to be unhooked/rehooked
>at each guy station. But the advantage is that I can lean back and rest any
>time. However, would climbing with the positioning lanyard in place actually
>present more risk of injury? Could the positioning lanyard cause injury if
>it catches before the fall-arrest lanyards? If so, then the right procedure
>would be to climb by alternating the two fall-arrest lanyards, then put the
>positioning lanyard around the tower when I want to rest.

You should not use a fall-arrest lanyard for positioning, even resting, as
you mention.

>2) Can a pair of fall-arrest lanyards attached to the back D-ring be used
>for temporary positioning while resting (i.e., by slinging them under the
>arms? If so, then the hip lanyard wouldn't be needed at all while climbing.

Whichever fits your tower members best.  For angle towers, bigger is
probably better.  There are some side-gate carabiners that open really nice
and wide, and if you have the spare change, the aluminum ones are excellent.