[Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:37:16 EST
In a message dated 12/18/02 5:56:18 AM Pacific Standard Time, k3nd@yahoo.com
writes:

> I had always heard that the fall arrest lanyard(s)
>  should be attached to the BACK D-ring. As I recall,
>  the wisdom was that if attached to the front D-ring,
>  in the event of a fall, your head snaps back which can
>  break your neck. When using the back D-ring, your head
>  would go forward until your chin would contact your
>  upper chest and NOT cause the same injury. As was
>  mention in a previous post, this would swing you into
>  the tower, not away, and your head could easily
>  contact the tower. My harness has only a back D-ring.

    You are correct, sir. You want your fall arrest lanyard to catch you in a
safe 'slumped-over' position using the back D-ring.

    D-rings in the front are for close working (i.e. window washers, etc.) or
when you're climbing a tower with a safety climb cable. The back D-ring fall
arrest lanyard is secured when you reach your work position; at that point
the front D-ring is of negligible use - it certainly shouldn't be used as a
fall arrest lanyard point.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
CHAMPION RADIO PRODUCTS -
Sellers of towers, tower rigging gear, and tower safety equipment
 <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.championradio.com</A>