[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: ac7nj@bentonrea.com (ac7nj@bentonrea.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 20:20:44 -0000
Fun With knots
A quote from the Ashley book of knots
A bowline is a temporary eye in the end of a line
The doubled figure 8 is also a temporary eye but intended to stay on a
more permanent basis and is stronger than the Bowline due to its larger
radius in the bends (splitting hair)
Both will do the job because we all use rope of a size comfortable to
handle. This being the case the breaking point of the rope we use is
several times higher than needed.
As a Sail boat racer of 43 years from age 5 (predominantly fore deck)
and a Construction doing the rigging for cranes, 12 years (before going
back to college)
The Bowline is the most useful knot there is because of its simplicity
and is easily tied and untied. (The definition of a good knot) The
difference between a granny knot and the square knot is not the strength
but the ability to un-tie it easily.

Randy Williamson
NNNØGCC TWO/ NNNØKPO