[Towertalk] Negotiating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Negotiating
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:42:26 -0500
Better to wind up with a fair price than be snookered (intentionally
or unintentionally) by someone because you're afraid you might hurt
their feelings.

A useful phrase is, "Nothing personal, but I'm offering XXXX, based on
my personal knowledge of this kind of product." Or "Nothing personal,
but I'm only able to offer XXXX." As opposed to "You want XXXX for
that piece of crap? It's only worth YYYY."

It's the choice of words, facial expression, and tone of voice, not
the counter-offer, that causes most problems. If the seller has set a
fixed price, he'll tell you.

Only take the offered price if you are convinced it is fair, middle
range and reflects a clear-headed appraisal of the merchandise.

Also remember that the USA is in a minority of places in the world
where barter negotiation is not an expected and appreciated social
exchange.

Not sure that the USA is right on this one.

73, Guy.