[Towertalk] Re: Negotiating 101

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Negotiating 101
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 14:20:38 -0500
The counterpoint on all of this amounts to:

DO NOT PUT YOUR FINAL PRICE ON AN ITEM IF YOU ARE SELLING....

This is standard dealings in any trading, forget about ham radio for a
moment....

If you approach the Pharmacy manager at WalMart and say that you want to
buy some toothpaste and he points out the options you would not (I would
think) want to pay the sticker price on the Colgate if you were buying a
case of it!

Know what something is worth - part of the love affair with buying
something used is both parties feel the have "won" - by the buyer
getting a lower price than posted price he feels he has won = by knowing
ahead of time what he really wants to net the seller should feel good
too as he usually will end up getting more than he had planned on since
he started a little high....

Isn't this Human Nature 101?

I am not offended when someone offers me a lower price for something I
have for sale - I simply counter with another price....when I am at my
lowest price and he feels it is still too high I simply ask if there is
any material he wants to throw in along with that bid which would make
the deal attractive to me - be it a yagi or spare rotor, keyer, old
computer or whatever.... something that he has which is doing nothing is
in essence worth next to nothing to him - but it might have $ signs
attached to it for me!

Now that you all have Christmas Dollars in your wallets anyone wanna buy
a TH7DXX?

73 to all my Towertalk friends!

Jim, K4OJ