[TowerTalk] Digging the hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging the hole
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Thu Feb 20 14:11:24 2003
An advantage of this is that you can accurately dig straight sides to
the desired dimensions for that first foot.  Then, if you choose to
bring in someone with equipment, you have given that person an accurate
guide to what you want dug.  I did this.  My contractor, with a large
backhoe and a dumptruck (eliminated putting any dirt on the lawn) dug me
a very accurate hole.  I formed the top, about 2" above ground level on
the high side, very easily.   Pouring concrete into it was a piece of cake.

By the way, I recommend a welded rebar cage, for the best possible Ufer
ground.  The cage and the tower legs must not sit on dirt; they should
be at least 2" above dirt, on concrete pads.  Be sure to brace the cage
and legs so they don't move while you pour concrete.  You can move them
a little to get the tower plumb, but you won't move them much after much
concrete is in the hole, if it is good, strong concrete, meaning pretty
stiff.

73 de WO?W