[TowerTalk] Digging the hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging the hole
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu Feb 20 16:08:21 2003
Andy et al:

     Let me chime in at this point.  I chose the rented post-hole digger
route two years ago to dig a 6X6X6 or so hole for my Trylon.  I gave up
after one evening of drilling and only a few DAYS of digging.

     My soil here is very tightly packed clay down to about three or four
feet and the rest is soft, but heavy clay/loam mix.  The drilling was pretty
tough going, and I was able to go down to only about four and a half feet
due to the length of the drill bit.  But what really made me give up is
dealing with the spoils - all the dirt I had dug out of the hole.  I was
running out of space underneath the bushes in my back yard to place all this
stuff.  (Civil Engineering rule of thumb - the spoils occupy twice as much
volume as the excavation volume.)  So I hired a local guy with a backhoe and
dump truck to complete the hole for me and to take away some of the original
spoils plus the rest that he had dug out for me.

     If you have a spot picked out to spread this material, go for it.  But
it took me three evenings of digging to get down to three feet, and I had a
back yard full of muddy clay.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F