[TowerTalk] Digging the hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging the hole
From: ab2kc@optonline.net (GEORGE PRITCHARD)
Date: Sun Feb 23 02:44:56 2003
Gentlemen,
I installed a W51 last fall. Doug a hole 4X4X6 feet. First foot in clay, then 3
feet of sand. Took 3 days at 3/4 hours per day (I'm 46 with back issues). I
used plywood in "channels" to prevent cave-in. As I dug the hole, the plywood
dropped down on it own. preventing any problems.  After I got to six feet, I
had to YELL for my son to get his attention, so he could bring me a ladder. I
dug myself into the hole. He just laughed and walked away, he was kidding
around. Then he tossed small handfulls of dirt at me (now this was getting old
fast!). He was 13. He also helped me put a quad on it.... a great kid. Anyway,
For GOV'T issues, make sure you document the depth of the hole by having
someone take a picture of you in the hole using a measuring tape. Put your
finger at the six foot mark to prove the goal depth had been met. Aslo take
pictures of the rebar cage before and after it;s hung in the hole on the three
2X8 inch joists. There are pictures of what I have done on "THE AM WINDOW"
website...go to AB2KC in the A-V... then  view section  at
http://www.amwindow.org/pix/htm/ab2kc/ab2kc1.htm  There are a few pictures of
the installation. I had a cement guy use a special motorized cement "handtruck"
that he rode on, from the truck at the street... moving about 1/4 to 1/2 yards
at a clip. As He dumped it in the hole the rebar cage that was bolted to the
2X8s moved slightly. When he was done dumping concrete, I used a level and
POUNDED the cage to the correct level (very hard to do). Anyway, the W51
supports a 3 element 20 meter quad with 3 elements on 15 and 4 elements on TEN,
just slightly at the overload limit. I keep it down when not in use, and watch
for winds over 35/40 MPH.
George AB2KC