[TowerTalk] aluminum mast again

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminum mast again
From: steve sala <stetrekve@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:49:58 -0700 (PDT)
This topic has probably come up countless times before
but I am on the verge of making a decison this week
for my installation.  I will have a M2 2M5WL 2 meter
beam (17 element, 33' boom, 13 lb), the M2 6M7JHV 6
meter beam (7 element, 33' boom, 17 lb), and a Force
12 C31XR on one mast out of Rohn 25 at 85 feet.  The
tower is guyed per the Rohn book for the next wind
area above my location (which is the lowest wind
rating of 70+ MPH).  I made the tower fulfill the
specifications for the next higher wind loading.

The mast will be into the top section about 6-7 feet
with a M2 2800 rotator and and TB3 thrust bearing at
the top.  The total mast length will be 24 feet long
to extend 16" or so out of the tower to separate the
three beams from each other.  The C31 will be one foot
above the top of the tower so only the two lighter
weight beams will on the unsupported mast.

I have this 24 foot steel mast of 2" OD and about 0.2
wall thickness of unknown origin (type, specifications
unknown). It weighs 98 lb.  To lower the total weight,
I am serious thinking of the following.

Does anyone have a problem with me using a 24 foot
mast of 6061T6 aluminum, 2" OD, 0.25" thick wall?  The
less weight will mean an easier time of shoving up the
mast with each antenna being put on and less weight at
the top of the tower.  Both VHF antennas have a dacron
rope to make the ends even with the center.
Steve K7AWB

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com