Re: [TowerTalk] B&W Folded Dipoles Recommended?

To: Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] B&W Folded Dipoles Recommended?
From: John Silberman <blkcat28@atlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:38:14 -0400
B & W makes some really good antennas, HOWEVER>>> as you know all multi-band
antenna are one trade off or another.  The way B & W gets that folded dipole to
play on all bands with less than
2:1 SWR is their matching unit, located across from the feed, is an
approximately 600 ohm load of sorts. 300 ohm ant...600ohm load...2:1 SWR.  over
simplified.  Does it work, yes. However,
depending on the freq. much ot your signal is being eaten up by the matching
unit and not transmitted, and boy does it get hot.  If you like the design, you
can build it yourself for much
less money.  Personally, I put it with the antenna coupler that came out years
ago, the guy sold tons of them, even to the military, 1:1.1 SWR, just add your
random wire.  Turned out to be
a 50 ohm load to which you hang your wire on the hot end.  Someone unpotted the
thing and found bits of PCB and components but the only thing attached to the
coax was the load. Clever. Did
it work? Yes. efficient? You be the judge. As for G5RVs.  Today, there are more
types of G5s than Carter has liver pills.  Before you give up on it, do some
research, and you may be able to
modify yours to perform better.  Start by reading about Varney and the original
G5RV.  Many people try to make the antenna do things it wasn't originally
designed for. I'm too long winded.
GL

P.S. Do I need a flame suit now?