Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question

To: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:39:53 -0800

Interesting point you raise...

In the near field, the radials are mostly there to provide a "return path" or image for the current in the vertical. The question would be whether that "image" gets bent or warped if the radials are not evenly spaced. Since they are, by geometry, very much closer than 1/4 wavelength apart, there's a lot of mutual interaction, and one would intuitively expect the current to adjust itself to be even (spread over all the available radials)..

Example.. if you had 20 radials over 180 deg, and 40 radials over the other 180 deg, the current in each radial on the 20 side would be twice that on the 40 side, but, the virtual image formed below the radials will probably be exactly the same. There's probably some limit (for instance, if the radials are exactly tuned, and there's not many of them, so they aren't strongly coupled to each other)