Re: [TowerTalk] My New 40M Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My New 40M Antenna
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:01:24 -0600
> By making the tiller lie in a plane that is slightly different (leading
> end lower than that spot would be on an element) than the elements the
> antenna will ride up the tram with the high end element tips higher with
> respect to the tram line.

Yes, this sounds right, but here's a real-world caveat:  While lifting a
very heavy 2-el 40 I hastily slapped together for CQWW, I remembered that
the antenna hangs from the tram pulley Center-Of-Gravity style, and I had to
have my tiller at a radical angle to get the element tips high enough.  I
should have taken a photo, except, of course, at the time I was in a hurry.

Real World Lesson: though it seems like the elements should lift above the
plane of the pull rope by an amount equal to the angle of the tiller (to the
elements), you may have to have the tiller at a greater angle than you want
the elements to rise.

I had to reset the tiller about 3 times to get the element tips high enough.
This was complicated by an adjacent (i.e. too close) tree I had to tram
OVER, and, of course, the fact that I was doing it alone in the dark.

I just re-read that and concluded that I must actually be as dumb as I look.

Name Withheld