Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir tuning noise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir tuning noise
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:24:13 -0800 (PST)
Agreed.  This is how I actually use my SteppIR.  I never
use the "auto-tune/general coverage mode" for reasons I stated yesterday.
I typically set the frequency manually when I switch to the CW portion
of a band and set it again manually when I switch to Phone.  This is
adequate for me.  It would seem rather trivial for SteppIR to make the
retune frequency delta configurable so that rather than retuning every
25 or 50 KHz (I'm not sure anymore which it is) you could set it to something
else like 100KHz or 200KHz.  Of course, this still doesn't solve the
problem of a station that happens to be sitting right on (or close to)
the retune frequency.  The solution for this should also be simple.
The controller should not retune unless you have CHANGED your frequency by
at least "X Khz" since the last retune rather than retuning at fixed
frequency points.