Re: [TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?
From: "Bill VanAlstyne" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:43:58 -0600
Dick Green WC1M wrote:

> However, some comparisons between RG-213
> and Buryflex revealed that the latter is actually
> more flexible. It also has much lower loss. You
> can get Buryflex from Radioware
> (http://www.radio-ware.com/).

I looked up this Bury-Flex stuff on the above-stated website -- they call it
"RF-9914F" -- and compared its specifications to those of Belden 9913F7 (the
"flexible" version of 9913). I'm currently using Belden 9913F7 on all my
antennas. As far as I can see, "Bury-Flex" and Belden 9913F7 are virtually
identical in concept and construction: .405" jacket, .108" stranded center
conductor, 100% coverage foil tape shield, 95% coverage tinned copper braid
shield. Some comparative notes:

a) Belden uses their own proprietary direct-burial jacket material (Belflex(R)
PVC blend) on 9913F7, while Bury-Flex claims only "PE" (polyethylene) as the
jacket material.

b) The capacitance per foot and velocity factor specs vary slightly, probably
due to a different formulation of the dielectric material.

c) Up to about 200 MHz, the claimed losses per 100 ft are essentially
identical -- but above that, the Belden 9913F7 starts looking better and better
compared with the Bury-Flex, which isn't even spec'ed above 1 GHz. (Belden
9913F7 is spec'ed up to 4 GHz.) At 1 GHz, for example, the Belden 9913F7 is
spec'ed at 4.6 dB / 100 ft, while the Bury-Flex is spec'ed at 5.3 dB / 100 ft.

So my theory is that "Bury-Flex" is a knock-off of Belden 9913F7, but uses a
cheaper dielectric material, which accounts for its differences in velocity
factor and capacitance (both dependent on dielectric constant), and for its
increasingly poorer loss performance in the UHF range. While no specs are given
for flexibility, the virtually identical construction of the two cables suggests
that the flexibility should be about the same, also.

The cost differential -- in small quantities, anyway -- is quite significant.
100 feet of Belden 9913F7 from AES costs $79.99, while the same quantity of
Bury-Flex from Radioware costs only $59.50. It certainly looks like the
Bury-Flex is the better "deal" if you're going to be using it at HF or low VHF
frequencies (6M and 2M).

Question is -- I don't see any data on where they get this stuff from, who makes
it, etc. Do I really want to go with a no-name cable when I could pay a few
dollars more and get Belden? I suppose it depends to some degree on how tight
your finances are, but for me, I would feel more comfortable going with a cable
whose manufacturer I know and trust.

I'd be interested in hearing any other data, opinions, testimonials, flames,
etc. Has anyone tested Bury-Flex, both when it's new and after it's been
installed for a while, to see how good it really is compared to Belden?

Bill / W5WVO