Re: [TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?

To: "Bill VanAlstyne" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, "Ed Kucharski" <k3dne@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Belden 9913 on a crankup?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:12:11 -0400
> Watch the power ratings of 9913F7 on VHF and UHF however!
If you run legal
> power on 144MHz, over 800 watts on 222MHz or over 500
watts on 432MHz those
> power levels exceeds the nominal power ratings on the
9913F7 per it's web
> page.  For this reason alone I chose the Bury-Flex product
for my rotor
> loops on my VHF-UHF station.

Hi Ed,

You better get some samples and test them yourself. Power
ratings are VERY conservative from Belden, where as private
vendors can do whatever they like.

For example, Belden RG8X has a rating of 300 volts yet I
high-pot it to over 10kV and never have found a piece that
breaks down. I also run 1200 watts CW on six meters through
it, and we have used it in some testing applications at over
20kW pulse power on 27.120 MHz..

I suspect the rating difference is probably skewed opposite
of reality mostly because Belden uses some very conservative
standard and the private label does not.

Ratings of cables use very obscure rating processes when it
comes to voltage and power. I'm not even sure how they
determine the ratings, but I know I can grossly violate
ratings without any sign of failure.

I'd pay more attention to things like loss and life, and I
always lean towards the known reliable source if I have a
choice.

73 Tom