RE: [TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing
From: "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:56:11 -0400
Tinkering and hands-on experience is of course important - but tinkering
with what? You'll have about as much luck with kids and HF today as you
would have with kids and steam locomotives back in the 50's; not zero,
but hardly compelling. If you want to inspire kids today, get them
tinkering with WIFI, BlueTooth, DSP, and Java; show them how to design,
model, and build antennas for those kinds of systems.

I am as anxious to preserve HF from the ravages of BPL as is any other
DXer or contester. By positioning ourselves as "defenders of the old
ways", however, we are all-too-easily dismissed; "ham radio is how I got
started 40 years ago" may be true for many in our generation, but is as
counterproductive a strike at BPL as its analog was against diesel
locomotives 40 years ago.

If we're going to overcome BPL, it will be with better technology in the
marketplace, not by plying lobbyists, politicians, and regulatory
agencies with emotional arguments that appeal to no one but us.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ