Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance

To: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@pacbell.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:04:31 -0400

>OK .. now .. next subject.  ARRL insurance.  Has anybody had RECENT
experience with the >ARRL policies?  In the way past, a lot hams were less
than thrilled with their attempting to get

"As I recall", originally they didn't cover towers and antennas, but do now.
I use them but have had no claims.

>satisfaction from the ARRL insurance companies...   BUT have heard nothing
negative lately!  >The ham who brought up the fact that if you soak your
home insurance company for >tower/antenna/rig losses, it could cost you the
far more important coverage of your house --

It depends on your insurrance company, but you have to seperate these out
into categories.
Our current insurrance (now Auto owners) treats the tower like another out
structure or out building such as my shop or an "unattached" garage. So for
no additional cost it's 10% of the house. (One reason for not attaching the
tower to the house in this case)  Considering the value of the system, we
had a rider added so it's a small additional cost.  Don't forget when it
comes to tower and antennas the labor involved/required to put back up, or
dismantle and clean up one that has been blown over, or vandalized.

Rig losses?  Again I'd guess it depends, but they are just like any other
"House contents" and ours covers "replacement value". (NOTE I understand
some companies will not cover electronic appliances) If I have a rig blasted
by lightening they replace it minus the deductable.  It has no effect on
other things in the home later on.

>really brought something to mind!  I had never thought of that!  BUT .. so
very true!  I live in >an area (don't we all!) quite susceptible to crime ..
hmmmmmmm .. if I lost $10K worth of >electronics and tools, my insurance
company would drop me in a New York minute!  And..

Here it's rare and I seriously doubt you'd be dropped.

>they are hard to find here in earthquake territory!  What is the latest on
the ARRL insurance?  >My mobile is covered, according to my agent (Farmers)
just fine... w/rider.

I didn't need a rider for the mobile rig which is an 50 watt FM duobander
(TM-D700), but were I to install an HF rig that was worth several thousand
then I'd need a rider.

I carry two Nikons in the car with a set of lenses.  They are covered by my
home owners insurance "as long as I'm not shooting an assignment". If I'm
out just looking for some good shots they are covered.  My HTs are covered
as well.

>Anybody got the scoop?
Mark   AA6DX   Far Northern California

There is probably a rather wide range of differences between companies and
even with the same company and different geographical areas.

Bout the only thing you can do is visit the different agencies and ask.

Good Luck,

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com