RE: [TowerTalk] Rotator for MA550

To: "Kim Bottles" <kbottles@rafn.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Rotator for MA550
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:56:38 -0700 (PDT)
> I find that for casual hamming the SteppIR's seem to work pretty well at
> 20-30 feet.  For a contest I might crank it up if it were mild out.

I did a bunch of A/B testing of inverted vee's at 30 and 60
ft on the same mast.  The increase in height helped on the
average of a few dB on 20 (not a huge difference) but helped
substantially as the frequency went up, such as on 15 meters.

Assuming you could extrapolate the results to Yagis (and I
don't see why not), then it gives you an idea of when it
is worth cranking up.

I also notice that operating mobile, I do a lot better on
20 meters than the higher bands.  This seems to be in line
with the inverted vee tests.

Rick N6RK