Re: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:33:51 -0400
If you are talking ground rods, it's by far cheaper (and easier) to just
purchase a few "one shot" cartidges. Everything comes premeasured.  You just
fit the form around the rod, put the ground wire in the opening(s) provided,
pack dirt around the form, pour in the charge, put on the top, add the
igniter charge,  and touch it off with an igniter.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm

It would appear that I am looking at 12-15 ground rod welds, plus maybe some rebar welds, that's a lot of disposable "one shots"! ;-)

I will not only be using it for the house and tower-related

I would add that using a TIG welder is very much like using an OxyAcetylene
torch, but the heat is supplied by an arc. The arc supplies the heat and you
feed in the rod just like brazing or torch welding.  As with MIG welding you
need a nice calm day outside.

So far I am seeing TIG welders for $900. - $4,000! Out of my range for sure! Perhaps something used/refurbished?

I have yet to find any reference to copper and references to
only certain models sufficient for aluminum.  Hmmm.

Guess I need to keep learning and searching.

73, doc kd4e