RE: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?

To: "'R. Kevin Stover'" <rkstover@mchsi.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?
From: "Wilson Lui" <wilsonlui@atitec.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:25:04 -0700
Exothermic welding is unlike traditional welding where an electrical (Mig or
Tig) arc is used. When it comes to welding copper conductors, a traditional
weld or braze merely joins together the two surfaces that can be seen with
the naked eye. In the case of a round wire, that will be only the outer
circumference of the wire. The weld itself will be of a filler material that
is not usually as electrically conductive as the wire itself (not pure
copper).

An exothermic weld is a pure chemical process were a metal mixture is
ignited with a simple flint igniter and the mixture rapidly burns and
reduces to a super hot molten copper liquid which then melts the ENTIRE wire
together. The resulting connection is one solid piece of copper. The
connection is a molecular bond throughout the entire cross section of the
conductor, not just at the circumference.

This is why an exothermic weld is the ONLY type of connection to be
recognized as equivalent to unspliced cable.  All other connection types
will result in some sort of voltage drop across the connection.
See http://www.atitec.com/support/tectoweld/tectoweld.html for more
information.

Wilson Lui
ATI Tectoniks