[TowerTalk] Archeological find in my Anchor hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Archeological find in my Anchor hole
From: "Noel" <yaesurig@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:13:24 -0600
 In preparation for putting up my tower, I've started digging the holes
for the pier and the four anchors. As I dug my first anchor hole, I
unearthed some bones. At first I dug up what looked like a partial scull
cap, and then a jawbone. Looking at the jawbone it looked like a human
jaw. So I stopped digging and started making some phone calls. Everyone
told me to call the county Sheriff. Just happens that my neighbor across
the street is a dentist, so I figured that before I call the Sheriff I'd
have my dentist neighbor look at the bones and tell me if he thinks its
human. Well sure enough he confirmed it was a human child about 5-6
years old. Guess he can tell by the teeth of which there's a full bottom
set.
And so the fiasco began. We had car loads of Sheriffs, the CSI (Crime
Scene Investigators) and lots of other officials here until almost dark.
They think from the age of the remains that it may be Native American.
The Bureau of Land Management and two archeologists came out and spent
all day removing the rest of the remains and took it away for study. My
3' by 4' hole is now just a tad bigger than I'd like and going to
require a little more concrete than I'd planned. We made yesterday's
paper too. And of course, any neighbor who didn't know about my tower
going up, does now. There is crime scene tape all over the place. Course
I took pictures to capture the memories.
Hope this is not a bad omen for my tower. A foot to the east, north or
south and I'd of missed the whole thing because I obviously hit the head
as I dug.. And it wasn't very deep because I had just reached 3'. Just
happed to have a contractor over too, who we're considering having him
build us a barn. He said I should have just pretended it was an animal.
Because now I'll be sorry I told anyone. I think I did the right thing
by calling the sheriff but now I'm hoping I wont be sorry later.  Well
we'll see...

Final tally on the bones turned out to be a child and an adult.  Very
very old but no more specific than that. They'll tell me more in about 6
months after they've had sufficient time to study.

Noel,
West Haven, UT
de KD6JHV