[TowerTalk] Fulton winches

To: "David Greer" <davidgreer73@yahoo.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fulton winches
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:46:34 -0700
>From: "David Greer" <davidgreer73@yahoo.com>
> 73, N4KZ

> After having my brother-in-law, the mechanical genius,
> over for a July 4th cook-out, he determined the
> winch's clutch had malfunctioned causing the winch
> brake pads to seize. >

I have long wondered how the brake clutch works.  perhaps
you could get Mike to explain its operation.  Also what
exactly malfunctioned?  I have two Fulton winches, a k1550
which was supplied along with the "Triex" tower tilting
fixture from Paragon Mfg.  That winch complained so loudly
that I replaced it with their k2550 which is quiet and much
easier to crank.

> BTW, Mike says he's not too impressed with the Fulton
> boat winch on the tower and recommends we consider
> installing a more heavy duty winch in the future.

Fulton's website does not classify any product as a
boat winch.  They classify poultry winches, 1 & 2 speed
winches, worm gear, and automatic brake winches.
The smallest listed is the k550 with only a 600 lb rating
vs the k1550 with its 1500 lb rating (which complained).
I  have been concerned not with the brake seizing but
instead suddenly losing its grip.  Perhaps you can get
Mike to detail why he is not impressed with Fulton "boat" winch?

73 k7puc