[TowerTalk] antenna height vs hassle

To: smc@w9smc.contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna height vs hassle
From: KI9A@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:27:56 EDT
Well, I'm sitting here thinking about what I going to do with this 40' HBX
tower..

Here's the deal:

The tower was free & in good shape. I live on a small lot, can't really have
a guyed tower. I now have a roof tower with my 2 meter yagi at about 27', the
A3 tribander at 30' & a 6 meter yagi at 33'.

In order to put this 40' tower up, I would have to hire out the hole
(5'x5'x5'), then hand carry all of the concrete approx  120-150' across the
grass, on
an uneven area (ugh).  No way to get the truck any closer.

Bottom line is this...is the cost & hassle of this worth the potential gain?
If the tower was 60-80', I'd say of course, but, going from 30' to 45', I
dunno if there would be much improvement to be worth it. I'm beginning to think
not.

What do you guys think??

73-Chuck KI9A

Oh yeah, did I mention my xyl, who NEVER gives me any hassle about operating,
or wires hanging fromt he tree's or the tower on roof, wants a pool in back
about the only place I can  put the tower???