RE: [TowerTalk] Aligning rotators (was: Thrust Bearing)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Aligning rotators (was: Thrust Bearing)
From: "Noel" <yaesurig@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:08:06 -0600
I did a similar thing except I didn't do it temporarily.  I made sure
the rotator support plate and trust bearing support plates were
perfectly squared and level with eath other.  Then I made sure the
rotator and therefore the mast was perfectly in the center of the tower
and would rotate without binding either at the rotator or at the thrust
bearing.  I did all this with the top section proped up vertically at
ground level.  This way I could tighten the thrust support bolts without
fear it would cause latteral pressure on the rotator.  My tower is a
hinged base so the tower and antenna were raised as a unit, even with
the coax and control cables attached.  Worked great and so far so good.
Only "trouble" I had was I have a manual winch for raising and lower the
tower.  I forgot how much hand cranking it takes to raise a 400+ lb
tower.  Fortunately my neighbor has an electric winch and came over and
helped me finish the job.  Probably saved me another hour of hand
cranking.  Even got my conduit installed and a couple of ground rods.  I
do need a good source for "One Shot" exothermic welds though.

Enjoying my first real directional antenna which works great by the way
and I'm working DX like a "big gun".

Noel
KD6JHV

Bill wrote:

When I put up my tower with a pointy top, I did some ground work to
achieve alignment. I temporarily mounted the top section at ground
level. Then I placed the mast in the top section, then the rotator the
end of the mast, then the attached the rotator shelf to the rotator,
then the shelf to the tower.

In this way, the shelf is aligned at the right angle so the rotator
axis is the same as the collar.

Result - no binding.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901