RE: [TowerTalk] Concrete anchors

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Concrete anchors
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:40:16 -0500
I know of several folks who are using less than the recommended 80 percent
of height rule.  This puts more load on the guys for a specific wind load at
the top of the tower.  If you are not worried about very high wind in your
area (other than a tornado), you can get by with radial distance of 60
percent (72 feet in your case).  Even this will be difficult with your lot
dimensions.

What kind of antenna are you putting up?  Better be a low wind load rating
(<5 ft) or you are risking a collapse.

There is another alternative, but it is expensive.  Either use a larger
tower (e.g. 55G) or plant some tall steel guy posts.  The latter moves the
effective guy point beyond the post.  These elevated guy posts will require
a much larger (i.e. heavier) base of concrete.

Keith NM5G