Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete anchors

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete anchors
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:03:59 -0700
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:41 AM

> The 80 percent figure is one component of the wind load rating of the
tower
> and guy system.  One could re-calculate the wind load rating resulting
from
> a change in this component.  I could do this but it would take a long time
> since my physics is quite rusty.  But, the point is that the guy system
> could be beefed up to achieve the same wind loading with less radial
> distance of the anchor to the tower base.
>
> Keith

Pulling the guys in closer also increases the vertical loading on the tower,
which may require increasing the size of the tower foundation, and/or
checking to make sure that the tower won't buckle.  All in all, fooling with
the guys on a marginal design probably isn't something to be taken on
casually.