Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms
From: <wf3h@ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:28:02 -0000
Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net> said:

> > Ham radio is, contrary to some opinions, still necessary for emergency
> > communications.  I have sitting on my mantel a certificate from the
> American
> > Red Cross thanking me (with many other hams) for our work in  NY after the
> > terrorist attack on 9/11.  We staffed the shelters housing those who lost
> > their residences in the attack.  Hams were on-site at ground zero as well,
> > supporting emergency communications.
>
> Today this is true.. but in 20 years?
>
> People making studies of emergency comms tend to take the fact that hams
> were needed as evidence that the official system is deficient in some way.

Hi Jim,

Good points all. And, to some extent, the official system IS deficient in
some ways. That has been pointed up by studies.  The problem is, we often
don't know about the deficiencies until a problem occurs. Ham radio is a kind
of back up.

> Also, the "tower in backyard" has a very tenuous connection to "skilled
> communications operator", unless you're approaching as a sort of quid pro
> quo argument

Many of us have official training in emergency communications.  If I were an
emergency management official, I'd be leery of using an untried, untested
person in an emergency situation.  Emergency comms is not for beginners.  But
quite a number of hams, fortunately, have considerable experience in
disasters (often more than alot of officials do), so can be relied on for
support.

.. I'll be available as an operator (something YOU want) in
> exchange for you letting me have an aesthetically undesirable tower
> (something I want).  One could make the argument that you'd be an even more
> skilled disaster operator if you were prohibited from putting up a tower and
> big antenna.  You'd be operating closer to what would be available in the
> disaster if you claimed that Field Day ops should be permitted.

Don't forget that one of the reasons amateur radio exists is because the feds
already know we'd be useful. I haven't given field day alot of thought, but
emergency comms requires alot of training. A weekend a year isn't sufficient.

But your points are well taken.  If you're a ham, and want to be prepared for
emergency communications, get training.

Bob/WF3H