Re: [TowerTalk] Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)

To: ve5ra@sasktel.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:16:08 -0400

Doug Renwick wrote:

Roger,

A while back I had two half wave slopers on 75. One to the NE and one to the SW. There was about 2 S-units difference between stations in line when switching one to the other. I still have to one oriented on Europe, but the weight of all that coax puts a substantial sag at the feed point. The half sloper without that coax is also a lot less visible.

Both the half wave on 75, or the half sloper on 160 are maybe a tad steeper than 45 degrees.

I use two half slopers on 160M with the feed point at 100 ft and under a
number of yagis.  One slopes east and the other west and I do have gain
in the direction of the slope. More than two half slopers showed no
benefit here but you may have different results.

My biggest problem will be orienting the antennas. I might be able run the half slopers on 160 East and West while keeping the half wave center fed slopers on 75 to the NE and NW. Then I could still stick one for 40 to the South. Of course I'd rather have 40 through 10 in a big yagi up there.<:-)) which I don't think is going to happen.

I'm currently reorganizing the cables on the tower to get them inside and a whole lot neater. I still have to let the big mast down so I can repair the 6-meter antenna. Like last winter, I'll probably not get it all done.

73

Roger

Doug

kk9a@arrl.net wrote:

Since the tower is part of the 1/2 sloper antenna system, the radiation is
more omni directional than a full sloper. It's radiation pattern is similar
to an inverted "L". I'm not sure if you can gain much by having 1/2 slopers
in different directions.

John