[TowerTalk] Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:57:48 -0400
Any one have experience with "half slopers"? (half of a half wave with the tower serving as the other side)

Yesterday I installed a half sloper for 160 and am quite pleased with the results. The feed point is roughly 96 feet and the angle is close to 45 degrees on the South side of the tower.

According to the "Antenna Handbook" there is some gain away from the tower through the antenna. I'm thinking of installing two more. One to the NE and one to the NW.

Currently I have a half wave center fed sloper on 75 to the NE which works quite well into Europe.

I have about zip for background on the half sloper and wonder how they compare to the center fed half wave sloper.

If the performance of the half sloper on 160 is any indication I'd expect it to compare favorably with the center fed half wave version.

What I'd really like to do is get half slopers up on 75 as well if they perform well, but then I have concerns about interaction and what would be the best height on the tower to anchor the ones for 75. The added bonus would be getting rid of those big loops of coax to the feed points and the weight that causes the half wave center fed slopers to sag.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Roger (K8RI)