Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH

To: "Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:21:55 -0500
> From Dave Hachedorian's (K6LL) posting:
>
>  > Once you do the conversions, the claimed
>  > gain is as follows:
>
>  > Band    4el Steppir    C31XR
>  > 20        9.5dBi        8.1
>  > 17        10.0            -
>  > 15        10.2          8.4
>  > 12        10.4            -
>  > 10        10.6          9.5
>
> Those Steppir gain figures are very questionable.  They
are significantly higher
> than the gain figures for optimized yagi designs in the
20th edition of the ARRL
> Antenna Book.  While a Steppir may be a fine antenna, it's
still just 4 elements
> on each band, and won't be any better than an optimized 4
element beam on the
> same boom length.

I don't know why anyone goes by any manufacturer's gain
figures. The worse place in the world to learn anything
factual about any antenna is from advertisements.

dBi in particular lends itself to all sorts of clever
manipulations.

73, Tom