Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH

To: "Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:34:27 -0800
Steve,

For the "optimized" yagi's in the ARRL antenna book what
were the optimization criteria? There is a tradespace between
forward gain, pattern and VSWR bandwidth, and F/B. With
a  SteppIR you might not have to compromise so much to
achieve pattern and VSWR bandwidth as you might forced
to do for a fixed element length yagi. It could very well be that
a SteppIR can eek out an extra .5dB of forward gain when
you get rid of the bandwidth constraints. That is the beauty
of the SteppIR, of course. You don't have to stay with a certain
compromise in the design (well except for element spacing)
once the antenna is up in the air. Of course with all the moving
parts long term reliability compared to fixed element designs
remains an open question. So far the customer base seems
pretty happy. Time will tell.