[TowerTalk] QUAD FEEDING

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] QUAD FEEDING
From: "Bob T." <bobt@gloryroad.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:36:24 -0500
I'm ready to put a Lightning Bolt 2 element, 20/15/10m quad up at 80ft. I want
to do this right the first time, and get the best reasonable performance from
the antenna. Lightning Bolt supplies a 2:1 balun for a common feedpoint. The
owner of the company sez this is the best way to feed the antenna for max
performance, anyone who sez otherwise is wrong. But...he can't supply figures
or pattern pics. Others favor the gamma match method, but still I haven't seen
any concrete evidence that this is the best way. (believe me, I've scoured the
web) Still others say a common feed point (feed line)is just no good; the only
way to go is seperate feedlines for each band. Still no facts or figures to
back up this claim. I am primarily concerned with maximum forward gain and a
fairly good pattern. I won't quibble over .5-1.0 db or so. If it makes any
difference, I am also interested in integrating a 3 element 6 meter quad on the
same boom. (seperate feed) and/or mounting a loaded 40 mete
 r dipole along the boom of the quad. So, who has the facts? Please, no
educated guesses or second hand anectdotes. Thanks.