Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles

To: "'Barry Fox'" <foxbw@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles
From: "Kirk" <kirk.harding@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:43:28 -0500
Barry,

Several years ago, (about 30), when I lived in Bixby Knolls (a
subdivision in Long Beach, CA), I had a 90 foot pole installed towards
the back of my property.  In order to mount the rotator (at this point
it was a custom prop pitch motor with selsens), I had a steel cap
fabricated that was fitted and bolted to the top of the pole.  Welded to
this cap was a steel plate that was constructed to meet the prop pitch
motor bolt configuration.  Needless to say, it was a lot of work to
mount both the beam and rotator, most I had done.  I had climbing pegs
installed that facilitated climbing and obviously used a climbing belt
for support.  I used this configuration for several years with great
success.  Also, it was a trouble free installation.  I'm sure there are
other ways that will work equally as well.  Keep in mind that I was
rotating a (commercial) and custom built to my specifications yagi that
allowed me to work 40 through 10 meters.  Obviously, there's a lot more
to the story.
It's very doable.

Good luck,

Kirk, K6KAR