Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Barry Fox" <foxbw@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:05:17 -0400
Couple comments.  W0AIH, in Wisconsin, I understand has used the tower section
jammed onto the top of a pole approach.  Must work!  Attractive too, I'm sure.
(hihi).

Telrex did, indeed, make a telephone pole mount, as someone mentioned.  I
bought three of them many years ago.  Never had them on a telephone pole but
did have them on trees that I topped at the 70' level (two tulip poplars and an
oak).  They cost $175 apiece at the time.

I agree that they were quite simple and you could make them yourself or have a
welder friend or local welding shop do it.  Each set was four or six L shaped
pieces made out of angle steel -- not a huge, heavy, gauge, but let's say
"adequate for the purpose."  From a piece of steel angle stock was cut pieces
about 12" long, maybe a little more than that -- I'd have to find mine and
measure -- with a 45 degree angle cut on one end, so that two pieces could be
welded together to make a nice 90 degree joint.  Then "all thread" rod was used
to go through the pole (or tree), with a steel L on the outside of each side of
the pole.  Tighten down the nuts and the pair of Ls are clamped onto the tree.
Another piece of all-three lower down on the L keeps the pair of L-shaped
brackets in place and with one dimension parallel to the ground.

Like I say there were two or there pairs of these L-shaped brackets supplied,
one for a top plate and one for a rotator plate, and maybe a third just to keep
everything lined up even when the rotator was taken out.

Also supplied were a plate for each of the bracket pairs.  And I think the
center hole was drilled -- for the mast to go through.  The holes were NOT
drilled for the bolts to attack to the steel angle.  You had to drill those
yourself once you knew where they needed to go -- as determined by the diameter
of the pole where you're installing this contraption.

So, all that it consisted of was some steel angle, some all thread, and some
steel plates, probably 1/4 inch thick, and I suppose maybe the nuts and bolts
to bolt the plates onto the angle, once you drilled the holes.  That's it, plus
the steel cutting and welding work involved.

Pretty simple, easy to make or have made.  73 - Rich, KE3Q