Re: [TowerTalk] Ground strap to water pipe?

To: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground strap to water pipe?
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 20:23:31 -0400
Is this "water pipe" connected to a well or city water?
We have city water and it's all plastic from the inlet valve out and 3/4".
A one inch service feed was almost twice as much, but to install and monthly
charge.  Still, any metal in the water system has to be tied into our house
electrical ground.

> Wisdom, please:  I want to run 1.5 inch copper strap from my SPG
> bulkhead to my AC ground point, which is my water service entrance,
> following the "bond the grounds together" principle.
>
> Question is what is the best way to transition from the copper strap
> to the water pipe, which is maybe 1.5 or 2 inches in diameter? (Don't
> know for sure because it's really hard to access in my crawlspace.)

Normally, I'd use something other than my water system for a system ground.
Actually, almost any thing other than the water system. In the case of a
deep well, it might make a good ground but a strike to the system could
require replacing the pump. It's not an uncommon ocurrence around here in
Michigan.

Typically the grounds should be at the tower and where the system comes into
the house at the bulkhead plate.  Often the layout makes what I'd call a
single point ground almost impossible, but all grounds should be tied
together.

I'm guessing that with a 7 call (which doesn't mean much about location any
more) that you may not have really good grounding conditions.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com