[TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old

To: TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, I have to admit it...I am past my prime by a
decade or so.  My knees don't like climbing.  I just
can't climb the tower like I use to so I have to ask
others to help...but the "others" are getting scarce.
Not a lot of hams know thier way around towers in my
neck of the woods.

So, I need to work on my dipoles (Inverted-Vs) for 80
and 40...I have two hanging off the tower on different
feedlines.  I replace them and put on new coax as
well.  What I want to do is this:

Place a pully system at 45 feet where they are now (I
have a 60 foot 25G tower guyed at 30 and 58 feet) so I
can pull the dipoles up and down when I need to, so I
don't have to climb the tower.  That is all find and
dandy, but I have this questions:

Can I let the coax (RG8 - Type) hang down fairly low
to the bottom of the tower (say 10 feet or so).  What
is the pitfalls of allowing the coax to hang freely.
I will be using Budwig centers which are pretty tough.
 What have all you 'experts' experienced allowing the
coax to hang free?  Currently, my coax is attached to
the side of the tower which precludes me from lowering
them down through a pully system.  I am trying to
minimize any tower climbing in the future.

Hey, if this question is to stupid...just delete it
and move on.  Hi!

Lee Buller
"Out of Shape...Growing Older...Looking for a knee
replacement"

Common sense is in short supply - get some and use it.
If you can't find any common sense, ask for help from
somebody that has some common sense. - Lee Buller