Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old

To: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>,TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:04:56 -0500
Hi, Lee;

Great question, and I look forward to seeing the responses.  I plan a
similar installation.  one of my thoughts, subject to the responses we
see, it to support the coax on another line fastened at intervals to
minimize the tension on the coax.  Perhaps I'll put knots in the support
line to stopper the attachments that carry the coax.  I might tape the
coax to the line every three to five feet to force them to flap in the
wind together and support the weight on a knot every 10 to 15 feet.
Just initial thoughts to facilitate the pulley arrangement.

On the other hand, I installed my 60' Universal tower so that it hinges
at the base to permit me to lay it on the ground with a falling derrick
and my tractor.  I may just fasten the coax for the dipoles to the tower
rather than try to solve all the problems of dangling it from 50 feet.
It's more of a project than dropping the dipole with a pulley, but my
present dipole has been up over 10 years without having to come down.
The tower needs to come down much more often than that for maintenance
of the tower and other antennas.  For example, bolts should be removed
and inspected every 5 years.  I've observed the deterioration that can
occur in 10 years and it is scary.

73 de WOØW