Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old

To: "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>,"TowerTalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:26 -0400
> Can I let the coax (RG8 - Type) hang down fairly low
> to the bottom of the tower (say 10 feet or so).

I have 160 feet hanging from a 80 meter dipole since 1999,
and I used to have 300 feet plus hanging from 160 antennas
for a few years that were on my 318 ft tower. What I do is
lace the cable with rope just like you would a wire harness
with string. That rope then holds the dipole insulator and
balun as well as the feedline. That keeps the weight off the
junction where the cable attaches to the dipoles, and
doesn't klet the joint flex so much.

>What is the pitfalls of allowing the coax to hang freely.

It blows around in the wind a little.

I've never had a single problem, ever.. and I've had
hundreds of feet of cable dangling from various towers and
antennas over the years...some even 350 feet high. I can't
imagine 50 feet being any sort of headache.

73 Tom