Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:34:15 +0000
Kelly:

     There is a trick to getting the equivalent of undistrubed earth
performance from earth that's been disturbed.  This is done all the time in the
professional (tower) construction industry.  (BTW - most of the cellular tower
foundations I've seen constructed were built using excavated, rectangular
pad-and-pier construction, while many of the electric utility towers I've seen
under construction were built with circular, augured foundations.  I've worked
in both industries.)

     The step you left out in your description, below, is tamping the
backfilled material after emplacing each half-foot of earth.  This is done in
professional applications with a pneumatic or gasoline-powered tamper.  These
things look like jackhammers, but instead of a drill bit, they have a heavy
flat steel plate on the bottom.  The heavy tool bounces up and down on the dirt
to compress it.

     An alternative that's used for large areas of compaction is running a
heavy tracked vehicle over the area to be compacted so many times in two
directions at right-angles to each other.   For both of these methods, the
design engineer specifies how much compaction is required to restore
undisturbed earth mechanical properties to the backfill material.

     Nothin's every easy, is it?

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F