Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations

To: "Bob Smith" <na6t@na6t.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations
From: "Bob Gates" <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:41:04 -0500
You hit the nail on the head Jim.  Regardless of whether OSHA, or any other
agency, requires certain safety measures, you and your contractor have an
obligation to protect the lives of the workers on your site.  Putting a man in
danger just because OSHA doesn't require shoring for example, is simply
irresponsible, and you should not allow the practice.  I'm not talking legal
responsibility, necessarily, but you have a moral obligation.

 Bob W7BJ

>Also as to the OSHA rules, I don't think a small company digging
>a hole falls under OSHA regs, don't you have to have at least 10-15
>employees before OSHA 'raises it's ugly head?

Whether OSHA requires it or not, you still have an obligation to work
safely, and provide a safe work environment for your employees.  OSHA just
codifies "what is safe" and provides a more consistent regulatory structure
around it, as well as inspections, etc.