Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down

To: <K6TFZ@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down
From: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:32:45 -0400
Peltier devices (thermoelectrics) are commonly used in non-compressor heat
exchangers for several years. They eliminate the vibration and possible
contamination caused by compressor heat exchangers.

When moving heat/cooling across the bismuth diode arrays they will transfer
up to about 100W with a liquid medium and about 45W with an air medium in
the standard 50mm (2"x2") square ceramic units. Power consumption in the
"full on" mode is about 10A at 12V = 120W. I would think it would take a lot
more than 5 units to cool a car, especially on a hot day. Nice idea to
eliminate the Freon, but not sure how practical Peltier devices are for this
application. How much power does the compressor take in a car?

First application of these devices was for generating power for spacecraft.
Hot on one side (plutonium) and cold (deep space) on the other side would
generate DC voltage.

This is my useless info of the day.
N2TK, Tony