Re: [TowerTalk] fiberglass guys...

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] fiberglass guys...
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:37:49 EDT
I think there is pretty much common agreement that just guying with long
stretches of EHS without putting any breaks of 502s in it is mechanically the
best
way to go, and for most stations it is the best all around way to go.

But, if you want to break up the line with 502 or 504 insulators and then use
guy grips at $6 a pop, you can get pretty close to or exceed the price of
Phillystran.  As has been stated before, the alternative to these two is to use
the Polyrod, which runs about $.50 /ft for 5/16 EHS equivalent.

I have used both over the years and I am always amazed at the rap Philly gets
for being stretchy.  One would think it behaved like a rubber band when you
guy a tower with it.  I always use guy bracket assemblies and it doesn't feel
different to me when I'm on the tower than if I use EHS or Polyrod.

By the way, if anyone is truly sold on the concept of using 500, 502 and 504
insulators to break up their lines, I have hundreds of brand new ones for
sale..way below what they normally sell for.

Bill K4XS