Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a tower foundation hole

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a tower foundation hole
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:11:44 +0000
Kelly:

     Two alternatives:

1.  Shovel.
2.  Moving van (another property.)

     Item 1 might be possible depending on your local soil conditions.  But let
me say this:  I tried to dig a 10 cuyd foundation hole in my hard-packed clay
and gave up after getting to less than two feet of depth.  I decided (or
rather, Mother Nature decided for me) to hire the equipment and an operator to
do the excavation.  It took him two hours to finish the hole (plus haul away
the spoils).  It had taken me three days (in the hot summer sun) to get a far
as I had by hand, plus I had to discard the spoils around my back yard.  I just
didn't have enough flower beds for all that dirt.

     There just isn't a satisfactory alternative to having a way for a machine
to get access to a project site.  I've been involved with construction projects
where roads were built and trees cut down so we could get heavy equipment in
for digging and pouring of concrete.  In my backyard tower's case, I had to
remove the corral fence and cut some tree branches to get the backhoe and
cement truck back there.

     In the property you're looking at, can you take down a fence or cut some
trees to get equipment back there?  If not, you're going to have trouble
removing the dirt AND hoisting your antennas up to the mast (no room for a
crane or for ginpole ropes, maybe.)  Hence my Item 2....

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F