Re: [TowerTalk] OK for Rohn 45 Tiltover - Dutton-Lainson 2500?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OK for Rohn 45 Tiltover - Dutton-Lainson 2500?
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:33:43 +0000

Fold-Over according to pages FO-7 to FO-10 of my Rohn Consumer Catalog.

> What is the tower height? Rohn made three heights in the 25 and
> 45; 48',58' & 68'.

I am assembling the tower from discrete parts.

One section is in a 5x5x5 foot steel reinforced 3500PSI concrete base.

My plan is for a 50-55 foot unguyed lightly loaded Fold-Over.

> I have a 48' Rohn 25 Fold over, and use a Fulton-Mosinee T2005. It is
> rated at 2000lb, and has a friction Brake, as well as the ratchet and
> reverse.  They have larger ones also. This one works well. The winch is
> not my limiter, it's the cable (by instinct )
 > Bill-W4BSG

FULTON K2550 has the automatic brake, specifies cable handling, and
does not have the "minimum line load" mentioned as a concern with
the Dutton.  (It seems more dummy-proof.)

http://www.fultonperformance.com/products.php?group=77&subgroup=80

Automatic Brake Winches
Fulton's K Series self-activating automatic brake winches hold the load
securely when the crank handle is released. Unlike our competitors, no
minimum line load is required to activate the brake or pay out cable
from the winch. Typical applications include boat lifts, grain augers,
manual fork lifts, retractable swing keels, dumpster lid lifts and
manual hoists. Drum hubs are 10X recommended cable size to maximize
cable life.

PRICE:
$168.00 http://www.grainger.com/material-handling/ManualWinches.html
$162.67 http://trailerparts-site.com/catalog_winches.htm

FULTON T2005 doesn't list cable as an option (under "drum storage"),
has a freewheel option (is that good?), and a more complex 2-speed
mechanism (greater opportunity for mistakes and mechanical failure?):

http://www.fultonperformance.com/products.php?group=77&subgroup=79

Two Speed Winches
Make light work of heavy loads with Fulton two-speed winches. One fast
speed for quick pull in, a second low speed for increased mechanical
advantage. Our shift lock design allows changing gears without moving
the crank handle from shaft to shaft. Just lift the shift lock and slide
the shaft into the desired gear position. Shift lock holds the shaft in
gear. Neutral, free-wheel position, allows quick line pay out without
spinning the handle. Our ratchet pawl also has a convenient neutral
position. Optional handbrake kit No. 1619-01 (Purchased separately
except on TXXXXB models) is available for all two-speed winches and can
be installed after the winch is mounted.

$74.50
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=197

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

            |_|___|_|