Re: [TowerTalk] OK for Rohn 45 Tiltover - Dutton-Lainson 2500?

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OK for Rohn 45 Tiltover - Dutton-Lainson 2500?
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:48:39 -0700
From: "kd4e" <kd4e@verizon.net>
To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OK for Rohn 45 Tiltover - Dutton-Lainson
2500?

> >> Would this be appropriate to use with a Rohn 45 tiltover?
> >>
> >> http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/boat_trailer_accessories/
> >> dutton_lainson/5801968.html
> >>
> >> It will be lightly loaded with a F12 C3SS, a vhf-uhf
> >> vertical,
> >> and perhaps a couple of small antennas side-mounted.
> >>
>> Try this for a lot less.
>> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5798
>> Gear driven, no chance of unwinding, can be operated by 1/2"
>> or larger
>> electric drill by taking off handle and double locking a pair
>> of nuts with a
>> lock washer in between and using a socket on the drill.
>> Cheep, accessable, available, replaceable, works well. Lots of
>> turn of the
>> handle but with the drill, 5 min up or down!
>> Mike Baker  K7DD   k7ddmjb@qwest.net
>
> My Rohn manual specifies 1/4" aircraft-grade stainless steel
> cable
> and a 35' cable length.
>
> I like the ability to use both manual and electric power but
> want to meet, and preferably exceed, Rohn's specifications
> for the Rohn 45 fold-over.

I think Rohn uses a "Brake Winch." At least that is what came
with my 30 year old 25 foldover. With a brake winch, you can take
your hand off the handle at any time in the raising or lowering
process and the tower will not move. Here is Dutton's web page
for brake winches:
http://www.dutton-lainson.com/mfg/brakewinchspecspage.html

Note the column "min operating load required." I think what this
means is that, if you don't have at least this minimum load, the
winch will not unspool, because there will be inadequate tension
on the clutch. Notice that the higher you go in winch load
capacity, the more you will have to exert a mighty tug to get the
tower to start tilting over. If you don't have the minimum load,
the handle will unscrew and come off! No damage done, though,
because the clutch will still be tight.

The one that came with my 25 foldover is the Dutton B1200. It
still works after 30 years out in the weather (such as it is in
Yuma). I use the winch every 3 years or so, and sometimes have to
disassemble it to service the clutches, because they get stuck
together. Rohn uses the same part number for 25 & 45 winches
these days, but I'm not sure if it's still the B1200. I would
hate to think of having to exert a 300 pound pull to get the
B2500 started!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ