Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation

To: Dan Hearn <dhearn@wwnw.net>,"Towertalk@Contesting.Com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation
From: Bill Jackson <k9rz@radiks.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:12:08 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Dan,

I work with 6 GHz point to point microwave systems at the railroad.  We do not
use heated antennas or radomes.  However, I would recommend you install a dish
antenna that includes a fiberglass radome.  This will keep ice and snow from
forming on the feedhorn and reflective surface of the dish and will actually
lower the amount of wind loading from the antenna.

At 6 GHz, the amount of additional path attenuation due to falling rain/snow in
the air at 6 GHz is negligible and shoud not be a concern.

73 de Bill, K9RZ