Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation

To: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:55:48 -0800
At 11:37 AM 10/31/2005, Robert Chudek wrote:
>Hi Bill,
>
>The rain and snow attenuation seems to always raise this type of question.
>At the opposite end of the spectrum (440 MHz) where I ran ATV, snow and
>rain did not have a perceptible influence on the signals either. What did
>influence the path was foliage. In the winter we could shoot signals
>through the trees, but in the summer there was severe attenuation. I
>suspected the issue was the water or sap rising during the growing season.
>
>But that aside, is there a frequency where rain and snow have a
>significant attenuation due to its presence in the path?

In general, liquid water attenuates more strongly than frozen water, so
rain is much wose than snow or ice. (but not all snow/ice is dry!).  The
usual number I've seen where folks start to worry about rain fades is
around 7GHz, but that might be an artifact of frequency allocations for
applications where people actually care.  Radar designers have to deal with
this, too.

In general, attenuation goes up as frequency goes up in a fairly smooth
curve until you get to around 150 GHz.  Rain attenuation is usually modeled
as a power law:
  gamma = K*RainRate^a
where K and a are a function of drop size (as a function of wavelength) and
temperature.  Some specific numbers:

At 10 GHz, 5mm/hr, 0.08 dB/km
At 20 GHz, 5mm/hr, 0.5 dB/km
at 30 GHz, 5mm/hr, 1 dB/km

Another significant effect is that rain (and ice crystals) depolarize the
signal (in fact, pointing straight up into falling rain is one way to
generate a evenly depolarized signal scattered back down for testing).

Thre are a couple frequencies where there is very strong absorption due to
molecular resonance effects (22 GHz for H2O, 60 GHz for O2), but those
aren't really rain related.

Jim, W6RMK

Jim, W6RMK